Saturday, June 6, 2015

Kingsroad - Customizable Crochet Stole inspired by 'A Song of Ice & Fire'



Kingsroad was born when I was reading G.R.R. Martin’s ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’.
At the time I had just created the base of the ‘wayn wheel’ pattern for another project. The more I looked at those wheels, the more I thought that, with just a bit of tweaking, they would make for a pretty nice scarf/stole.
Since this pattern is worked sideways, I figured it could look interesting with long color changing yarn. The result would be unexpected – just as the Kingsroad (or any road, for that matter) can be full of surprises. Additionally, working with slow color changing yarn assures a dramatic result without having to buy a dozen different colorways…
And since the pattern was to be worked in separate stripes that would then be assembled, making this a customizable stole seemed logical to me.
Thus, the Kingsroad stole was born.
Now, obviously, with such a gaudy color scheme, it is unlikely this sample Kingsroad stole would ever be seen on an episode of Game of Thrones, but it’s okay. That wasn’t what I was aiming for.
Who knows, maybe you won’t be as tasteless as I was in your choice of colors, and make a stole the ladies of Westeros would wear.





[I will update this post with the links to the Ravelry project page & shop page as soon as I create them ;)]

No comments:

Post a Comment